Monday, July 13, 2009

Midsummer Grandness


I was given the opportunity to benefit my community by serving on the Grand Jury of Kings County, New York from June 26th until July 10th. This service provided me with the chance to earn a small stipend while performing a necessary function in society. The Grand Jury is made up of 23 persons residing in the community. In my case, and I warrant in many cases, it was a wonderfully diverse and inclusive collection of individuals.
Because of security screenings, I was not allowed to bring a camera into the court. But because jurors were allowed certain lenience, I was allowed to bring my phone, which has a camera. I did not violate the principle of this privilege, so I have no record of my fellow jurors, whose names I don't even know. One of the Jurors I knew as E-10. Our Jury was E, and he was E-10. I was E-8. (E-9 was really nice: closest to me in proximity and culturally, and I know her name, but I will not divulge it) HOWEVER, I did get to experience the wonderful tradition (not previously known to me) of "Lunch Hour". It was like a mid-day meditation. I found here the opportunity to take pictures of what I was attending to in my meditation.





This last image was arresting (apropos of jury work). On a sunny day in a metropolitan forest, the sun cast a shadow with gothic resonance. So I took another look. What do you see . . . ?



On the penultimate day of my service we had the luxury of a 2-hour lunch. So I walked to the Promenade and took pictures of New York harbor.


4 comments:

Nan said...

How totally awesome. Okay the shadowslooked to me like a cheerleader "rooting" for sending someone up the river. ;-)

Dale said...

Yes, I can see that. I didn't see the "up the river" part, but then I didn't have the context of the subsequent pictures when I was looking at the shadows . . .

Unknown said...

lovely harbor pictures; you are so poetic for somone on jury duty! Usually I get into criminal mindsets!

Deb Perugi said...

I love your photos, Dale. More, more!